Ian Assersohn is a British composer, arranger, workshop leader and choral director whose works have been widely performed both in the UK and abroad. His music, which has won a number of international awards, is prized by performers and audiences alike for its accessible style, appealing melodic and harmonic invention and sensitive word-setting.
His music has been described as 'haunting', 'exquisite', 'moving' and 'beautiful' and has won praise from such luminaries of the choral world as John Rutter, Judith Weir, Bob Chilcott, Stephen Jackson, Alan Bullard, Brian Kay, and David Hill.
Competition successes include winning the 2018 and 2014 Cornwall International Male Voice Festival composition competitions, the 2016 Bach Choir composition competition, the 2010 Making Music competition, and the 2014 Nicola Dando Prize. He was a finalist in the 2010 Waverley Care carol competition and received an honourable mention in the Boston Choral Ensemble’s composition competition in 2017.
His large-scale works include Ionian Mass, a joyful celebration of science and the natural world, Dies Irae, a cantata of remembrance for three choirs, soloists and orchestra, The Pied Piper of Hamelin, a prize-winning entertainment for adult’s and children’s choirs, and Air and Angels for baritone solo, choir, brass quintet, timpani and piano. He has also written a wide variety of smaller-scale original works and arrangements for choirs of all types. His music appears in a number of anthologies including The Novello Book of British Folksongs, The Oxford Book Of Easy Flexible Anthems and the forthcoming The Oxford Book of Flexible Choral Songs.
Ian was educated at Westminster School and The Royal College of Music, London, and later at Koninklijk Conservatorium in Den Haag, Netherlands. For 20 years he worked as a software developer and IT product manager, only returning to the musician’s life in 2009.
Ian’s music is published by OUP and Novello, among others, and by his own imprint Apple Tree Music.
- 2018 - winner, Cornwall International Male Voice Festival composition competition, Cambiata category
- 2018 - 3rd place, Cornwall International Male Voice Festival composition competition, TTBB category
- 2018 - Longlisted for the Walter Hussey composition competition
- 2017 - Highly commended, Boston Choral Ensemble Commission Competition
- 2016 - winner, Bach Choir composition competition
- 2014 - winner, Cornwall International Male Voice Festival composition competition
- 2014 - winner, Music Makers of London Nicola Dando Prize
- 2010 - winner, Making Music composition competition
- 2010 - Finalist, Waverley Care carol competition